Having wide set eyes can be a unique and defining feature for some individuals. You may have heard people describe someone as having “deer-like” or “alien-like” eyes, referring to the space between their eyes being wider than the average person. But what does having wide set eyes actually mean? Is it just a physical characteristic or can it reveal something about a person’s personality or health?
Studies have shown that having wide set eyes is actually a result of genetics, specifically related to bone structure. The distance between the inner corners of the eyes, known as the intercanthal distance, is wider than the average for some people due to the placement of their eye sockets. While this trait may vary among different ethnicities, it is generally considered a normal variation among individuals.
While having wide set eyes can add to someone’s unique appearance, it’s important to note that it doesn’t necessarily reveal anything about their personality or health. However, it is always important to keep an eye on changes in the appearance or function of one’s eyes, as well as any discomfort or pain, and to seek medical attention if necessary.
Characteristics of Wide Set Eyes
Wide set eyes are defined as eyes located farther apart than the average distance between eyes. People with this characteristic are often known for their unique beauty and distinct features. They are often described as giving off a more exotic and alluring appearance, and many of them have become famous for these looks.
- Space: Wide set eyes typically have more space between them, giving the overall face a larger appearance.
- Shape: The eyes themselves can often appear more almond shaped, with a slight tilt upward towards the outer corners.
- Brow Bone: Those with wide set eyes generally have a more pronounced brow bone, which can give a more dramatic or striking appearance.
These physical characteristics can give wide set eyes a more secluded and independent look. This can often be seen as a sign of confidence and assertiveness that can be an asset in both personal and professional settings. While these traits can be seen as positive by some, others may find them intimidating or distancing. However, those with wide set eyes should always embrace their unique look and use it to their advantage.
Eye Shapes and Their Meanings
Our eyes come in different shapes and sizes, and each one has a unique meaning behind it. In this article, we will explore the meanings behind the most common eye shapes.
Wide Set Eyes
- People with wide-set eyes have eyes that are set farther apart than the average person.
- This eye shape is often associated with a more youthful and innocent appearance.
- People with wide-set eyes are often perceived as more approachable and friendly.
- However, wide-set eyes can also make the face appear wider and may contribute to a less feminine appearance.
- Wide-set eyes are common in people of African and European descent.
To better understand the measurements of wide-set eyes, we can take a look at the interpupillary distance. This is the distance between the pupils when looking straight ahead. The average interpupillary distance is between 54-68mm. Anything wider than this range is considered to be wide-set eyes.
|Eye Shape||Interpupillary Distance|
|Wide-set Eyes||Above 68mm|
Wide-set eyes can be easily enhanced with makeup. By creating a smokey eye look and extending the eyeshadow beyond the outer corners of the eyes, you can create the illusion of closer-set eyes. Conversely, if you want to enhance the appearance of wide-set eyes, neutral shades and eyeliner can be used to draw attention to the center of the face.
In conclusion, wide-set eyes are a unique and attractive eye shape with both positive and negative characteristics. Understanding the meanings behind different eye shapes can help us better appreciate and accentuate our natural beauty.
Common Physical Features Associated with Wide Set Eyes
Having a pair of wide set eyes can give a person a unique and striking appearance. Wide set eyes are typically defined as having a distance of 1.5 times or greater the width of one eye between the centers of the pupils of the two eyes. While some people are born with naturally wide set eyes, others may acquire this physical feature due to medical conditions or aging. Here are some common physical features associated with wide set eyes:
- High Cheekbones: People with wide set eyes tend to have higher cheekbones which can accentuate their facial structure.
- Small or Narrow Nose: In contrast to high cheekbones, people with wide set eyes may have a small or narrow nose which can create a harmonious balance between their facial features.
- Wider Forehead: A wider forehead is often associated with wide set eyes as it complements the overall width of the face.
The Psychology Behind Wide Set Eyes
Aside from physical features, having wide set eyes can also affect the perception of one’s personality. Some studies suggest that people with wide set eyes are perceived as more attractive and trustworthy. Additionally, wide set eyes are often associated with creativity and intelligence. On the other hand, people with closer-set eyes are thought to be more analytical and detail-oriented.
Medical Conditions Associated with Wide Set Eyes
While wide set eyes can be a natural physical feature, they may also be associated with certain medical conditions such as:
- Down Syndrome: People with Down Syndrome typically exhibit wide set eyes, small ears, and a short neck.
- Hyperthyroidism: An overactive thyroid gland can cause the eyes to protrude and become wide set due to increased pressure in the eye sockets.
- Marfan Syndrome: This genetic disorder affects the body’s connective tissues and can cause tall height, long limbs, and wide set eyes.
Measuring the Distance Between Eyes
Measuring the distance between the centers of the pupils is a reliable way to determine if a person has wide set eyes. The standard distance for average people is around 64mm, but there are variances based on gender, ethnicity, and other factors. Below is a table showing the average distance between pupils:
|Gender||Average Distance Between Pupils (mm)|
It’s important to note that these are just averages and there can still be variations within these numbers. If you’re concerned about the distance between your eyes, it’s best to consult with a medical professional.
Beauty Tips for Wide Set Eyes
Wide set eyes are considered a beautiful feature by many. They provide a unique and exotic look that is appealing to the eyes. However, it can be tricky to find the right beauty tips that work especially for this type of eyes. Here are some tips for enhancing and complementing wide set eyes:
- 1. Apply Eyeliner So It Doesn’t Outstretch to the Sides: When applying eyeliner, make sure not to extend the line too far outward to avoid accentuating the width of the eyes. Instead, start from the middle of the upper lid and extend it slightly upwards for a more lifted effect.
- 2. Highlight the Inner Corners of Your Eyes: Apply shimmery or bright shades in the inner corners of the eyes to bring them in and create an illusion of a closer appearance.
- 3. Focus on the Eyebrows: A well-defined arch can help elongate the width of the eyes. Fill in your eyebrows with a pencil or powder to create a shape that complements your eye shape.
Proper application of eye makeup can make all the difference when it comes to enhancing wide set eyes. However, there are also non-makeup tips that can help:
4. Choose Eyeglasses with a Thick or Bold Frame: If you have wide set eyes and wear glasses, you might want to go for those with a thick or bold frame. This can create an illusion of bringing the eyes closer together and make them appear more balanced with the face.
|Use highlighter on the inner corners of your eyes.||Extend eyeliner too far outward.|
|Define your eyebrows to create an elongated effect.||Apply makeup to the outer corners of your eyes.|
|Choose eyeglasses with a thick or bold frame.||Wear eyeglasses with a slim, delicate frame.|
These beauty tips for wide set eyes can help you accentuate and complement this unique feature. Remember to adjust your makeup and accessories accordingly to enhance your look and feel confident in showing off your stunning eyes.
How to Determine Your Eye Shape
If you’re wondering whether you have wide set eyes or not, the first step is to determine your eye shape. Knowing your eye shape will allow you to choose makeup and hairstyles that flatter your natural features. Here are some tips for determining your eye shape:
- Look in the mirror and observe the crease of your eyelid. If you have a visible crease, you most likely have an almond-shaped eye.
- If your crease is not visible when your eyes are open, you may have a hooded eye.
- If your eye shape is round and open, with no visible crease, you have round eyes.
- If your eyes are slightly upturned at the outer corners, you may have a cat eye shape.
- If your eyes are downturned at the outer corners, you may have a downturned eye shape.
What Does Having Wide Set Eyes Mean?
Wide set eyes are a common eye shape that occurs when the distance between the eyes is greater than the width of one eye. This creates a wider appearance and allows for more space between the eyes. If you have wide set eyes, you may notice that your eyes sit more on the side of your head than in the middle.
People with wide set eyes tend to have a friendly and approachable appearance. They are often seen as trustworthy and outgoing. However, some people with wide set eyes may feel self-conscious about the space between their eyes and seek ways to balance their face with cosmetics or hairstyles that accentuate their unique features.
The Best Makeup and Hairstyles for Wide Set Eyes
If you have wide set eyes, there are many makeup and hairstyle options that can accentuate your natural beauty. Here are some helpful tips:
- Use darker tones of eyeshadow in the innermost part of your eyes to create an illusion of smaller space between your eyes.
- Apply highlighter to the center of your eyelids and the inner corner of your eyes to brighten and open up your eyes.
- Use an eyebrow pencil to create thicker and closer eyebrows to give the illusion of closer-set eyes.
- Avoid hairstyles that pull hair away from your face, as they will accentuate the space between your eyes. Instead, try side-swept bangs or center-parted hairstyles.
- Experiment with eyeliner shapes to enhance your natural eye shape. Try a classic cat-eye, or create a more dramatic look by extending the liner from the outer corners of your eyes towards your temples.
A Comparison of Eye Shapes
|Almond||A visible crease with a tapered inner and outer corner.|
|Round||No visible crease with a circular shape.|
|Hooded||A non-visible crease with the eyelid covering the crease.|
|Cat||Slightly upturned outer corner of the eyes.|
|Downturned||Slightly downturned outer corner of the eyes.|
Knowing your eye shape and how to enhance your natural features can make a big difference in creating a confident and beautiful look. Whether you have wide set eyes or another eye shape, embrace your unique features and explore the many ways you can enhance your beauty.
Wide Set Eyes in Different Cultures
Wide set eyes are not limited to specific cultures and can be found around the world. However, the interpretation of wide set eyes in different cultures can vary. In some cultures, wide set eyes are considered to be a sign of beauty, while in others, they may be associated with a negative connotation.
Cultural Meanings of Wide Set Eyes
- In Western culture, wide set eyes are often perceived as a sign of attractiveness, particularly in women. The distance between the eyes is thought to create an illusion of larger eyes, which is considered desirable.
- In East Asian culture, particularly Japan, wide set eyes are thought to be a sign of beauty. In fact, some people undergo cosmetic procedures to widen their eyes.
- However, in certain African cultures, wide set eyes may be associated with negative traits such as being possessed by a demon or being a witch.
The Science Behind Wide Set Eyes
It is important to note that the distance between the eyes, also known as interpupillary distance (IPD), is determined by genetics. Naturally occurring variations in IPD do not necessarily indicate specific character traits or abilities. Additionally, the appearance of wide set eyes may be influenced by other facial features such as the shape of the forehead or nose.
A study published in the Journal of Vision found that people with wide set eyes tend to have better binocular vision, which means they can see 3D images more easily than those with narrow set eyes.
Interpreting IPD Measurements
IPD measurements are sometimes used in the field of forensic science, art, and medicine. In forensic science, IPD can be used to determine the identity of a suspect in a photograph or video. In art, the distance between facial features, including the eyes, can be used to accurately render a likeness. In medicine, IPD can be used to assess the severity of certain conditions, such as craniosynostosis (premature fusion of the skull sutures).
|Culture||Interpretation of Wide Set Eyes|
|Western||Sign of attractiveness, particularly in women|
|East Asian (Japan)||Sign of beauty, some undergo cosmetic procedures to widen their eyes|
|African||May be associated with being possessed by a demon or being a witch|
In conclusion, wide set eyes can have varying interpretations depending on one’s cultural background. However, it is important to recognize that natural variations in IPD do not necessarily indicate specific traits or abilities. While IPD measurements may have practical applications in fields such as forensic science, art, and medicine, it is important to not ascribe a particular meaning based solely on the distance between the eyes.
How to Accentuate Wide Set Eyes with Makeup
Wide set eyes are considered one of the most attractive eye shapes, but not everyone knows how to highlight this feature with makeup. With the right techniques, you can make your wide set eyes stand out even more and take your look to the next level.
Makeup Tips for Wide Set Eyes
- Use a darker shade on the inner corner of the eyes to create the illusion of a closer set of eyes.
- Blend a lighter shade on the outer corner of the eyes to make them appear even wider.
- Apply eyeliner only on the outer corner of the eyes to add emphasis to the width of your eyes.
Choosing Eye Makeup Colors
When it comes to choosing eye makeup colors for wide set eyes, there are a few guidelines to follow:
- Use light eyeshadow shades on the inner corner of the eyes to create the illusion of a closer set of eyes.
- Choose medium shades for the outer corner of the eyes to make them appear even wider.
- Go for bold and dramatic eyeliners to add emphasis to the width of your eyes.
Best Eyeliner Styles for Wide Set Eyes
When applying eyeliner to wide set eyes, it’s essential to choose the right style to enhance their shape. Here are some of the best eyeliner styles for wide set eyes:
- Cat eye: elongates the outer corner of the eyes and adds definition.
- Winged eyeliner: accentuates the outer corner of the eyes for a sultry look.
- Tightlining: creates the illusion of fuller lashes and adds depth to the eyes.
Makeup Products for Wide Set Eyes
There are several makeup products that can enhance the beauty of wide set eyes:
|Light eyeshadow shades||Creates the illusion of a closer set of eyes.|
|Medium eyeshadow shades||Makes the eyes appear even wider.|
|Dramatic eyeliners||Emphasizes the width of the eyes.|
|Volumizing mascara||Enhances the natural lashes, making the eyes appear bigger.|
Using the right products and techniques can help you accentuate your wide set eyes, giving them the attention they deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About What Does Having Wide Set Eyes Mean
Q: What is the definition of wide set eyes?
A: Wide set eyes refer to eyes that are spaced further apart than average. This means that the distance between the inner corners of the eyes is greater than one eye’s width.
Q: What causes someone to have wide set eyes?
A: Wide set eyes can be a genetic trait or the result of developmental factors. Some medical conditions can also cause wide set eyes.
Q: Are wide set eyes attractive?
A: Beauty is subjective, so what one person finds attractive, another person might not. Having wide set eyes is a unique and distinguishing feature that can be considered attractive by some people.
Q: What are some famous people with wide set eyes?
A: Some famous people with wide set eyes include Kate Moss, Cameron Diaz, and Olivia Wilde.
Q: Do wide set eyes affect vision?
A: No, having wide set eyes does not typically affect vision. However, some medical conditions that cause wide set eyes can impact vision.
Q: Can someone with wide set eyes do anything to change their eye spacing?
A: No, eye spacing is determined by genetics and developmental factors, so there is not an effective way for someone to change the distance between their eyes.
Q: Are there any health concerns associated with wide set eyes?
A: Depending on the cause of someone’s wide set eyes, there may be underlying medical conditions that should be monitored. For example, people with Down syndrome often have wide set eyes as a characteristic of the condition.
Thanks for taking the time to learn about what having wide set eyes means! Remember, having unique physical traits, such as wide set eyes, is what makes each person one of a kind. If you have any concerns about your eye spacing or vision, it’s always best to consult a medical professional. We hope you visit us again soon for more interesting and informative articles.